The Best Electronic Logbook App for Canada
Drivers can simplify compliance, increase safety, and boost efficiency by choosing a reliable ELD. To find the best electronic logbook app for Canada, carriers should consider their trucking business’s specific needs and select a provider that fulfills them effectively and without hassle. Taking into account driver convenience is also vital to ensure the logbook is used correctly and it could even help lower turnover rates.
A quality elog should have the following characteristics:
- User-friendly interface. Everything else can work perfectly, but if the logbook is a pain to learn and use, it will bother drivers, making it harder to use it properly. Drivers have enough tasks as it is; an easy-to-use driving logbook app will be essential to keep them operating legally and without issues. Updating status, completing vehicle inspections, and getting a compliance report during a roadside inspection should be quick and easy. If possible, take some time to try out the ELD system you are considering to see how it functions; it will surely pay off.
- Operates with any kind of vehicle. Fleets can have many types of trucks: light-duty, vans, box or bucket trucks, etc. An ideal electronic logbook app for Canada should work with any of them, so drivers in a fleet with several vehicle types need to learn one system. This will be highly convenient when enrolling new drivers.
- Multiple device compatibility. Smartphone and tablet compatibility will make for a very convenient solution. The best car logbook apps will be available for Android and iOS operating systems so drivers can use the device they prefer.
- Easy installation. A quick installation equals a smooth rollout. Users will find that some solutions need minutes to get things up and running, while others need days. Asking about the installation process and any additional costs can save you time, headaches, and money.
- Fair pricing. Solutions in the ELD market can be pretty expensive. The costs of hardware, subscription for each vehicle, and additional features may add up to a considerable bill. When it comes to elogs, more money does not necessarily mean better quality. The electronic logbook app for Canada will need to combine good performance with the benefits of a low-risk profile in the long term. There are ways to keep costs low without compromising functionality and safety, like using a BYOD solution or choosing a flexible plan that allows adding extra features only when necessary.
- Updates included in the solution. Regulations can change, so responsiveness is critical. The Canadian mandate is currently in a progressive enforcement stage, but drivers and carriers will be subject to penalties in case of non-compliance come January of 2023. Tools such as driver log auditing software will be used to detect violations to HOS rules, and providers must be sure their software supports all of them and their exemptions.
- Easy to upgrade. Try to look for an ELD solution that keeps up with your business. Your needs might be different in the future; a provider that offers flexibility may come in very handy.
Should Truckers Choose Android or iOS to Run ELD Software?
There is a question on which driving logbook apps are better: Android or iPhone? At the end of the day, the operating system used to keep track of hours of service does not matter much. What is most important is the user-friendliness of the app and the efficiency to achieve compliance. Although there is no standard set in stone, the best car logbook apps should have both options available to accommodate the driver’s preference. If, for example, most truckers in the fleet use an iPhone, it will be easier for them to stick to the Apple app. Still, drivers who prefer their Android devices can use the corresponding version. HOS247 offers customers both Android and iOS apps that run smoothly on either system and type of device.
What Extra Features Should Driving Logbook Apps Offer?
Additional features can boost productivity and make the job easier to handle. High-quality electronic logbooks should offer drivers several extra features that can be used to improve fleet performance and make operations more efficient. Some of the most important are:
- GPS fleet tracking. Fleet managers can see their operations in real-time and thus improve their decision-making process. GPS optimizes deliveries by improving time estimations and assignment of loads.
- IFTA calculations. Everyone saves time by automating IFTA calculations. The ELD will record the distance driven within each jurisdiction to simplify tax reporting and prevent human error.
- Idle time reporting. Keeping track of idle time will reveal opportunities to reduce fuel costs and improve the fleet’s overall performance.
- Vehicle diagnostics. This feature identifies issues that might affect the operation of the vehicle. The information detected from the engine is displayed for drivers on the app and fleet managers on the online portal.
HOS247 Is a Leader in ELD Services
The team at HOS247 is devoted to the user. We provide an easy-to-use, dependable, and compatible solution. The electronic logbook app for Canada has versions for both Android and iOS devices, and it is designed to make HOS management as easy as possible. Some of the most important benefits of HOS247 ELDs include:
- Reliable hardware. The HOS247 hardware is dependable and offers a stable Bluetooth connection. The device is tested against the highest standard to make sure the performance always meets expectations.
- Top-rated customer support. Our technical support team is ready to assist drivers Monday through Sunday with four language channels: English, Spanish, Polish, and Russian.
- No contracts. HOS247 offers a subscription service on a monthly or yearly basis. We offer flexible plans that can be scaled up or down for your next billing cycle. No contract is needed, so clients can adjust their ELD services as they wish for as long as they need.
- Two-week returns. There is a two-week period for customers to try out the HOS247 ELD and become familiar with its benefits. There are no strings attached; customers may return the device within this period and receive a full refund if they decide not to keep it.
How Does the HOS247 ELD Work?
HOS247 ELD hardware is known for its endurance. It connects to the engine’s control module in minutes and requires no special installation. Then it must synchronize with the driver’s app (through Bluetooth) and the online portal.
The ELD will record the user’s identification data, vehicle’s engine and kilometers, date, and time. They also record the required information to identify a specific driver, user, or motor carrier. These devices log data on location every hour while driving and when the engine is off.
The ELD is designed to keep an accurate record of the time the vehicle is moving, but it will not keep data on speed, braking, or steering. The information gathered is strictly for measuring compliance with HOS regulations and capturing all duty status changes. The device captures latitude and longitude coordinates when a change in duty status occurs.
It turns them into a geolocation position roughly within the truck’s location. Still, it is not accurate enough to identify a specific street address. It will usually correspond to the city or town name and state abbreviation within a 1.6-kilometer radius. The location will be recorded within a 16-kilometer radius when the truck is used for personal conveyance.
User-friendly ELDs and accompanying apps are more important now than ever, as the mandate approaches and driver turnover continues to be a problem for trucking businesses. Difficult to navigate logbook apps make drivers’ jobs more complicated. That is one more
A truck daily log book is used to keep records of duty status (RODS) of commercial drivers to ensure compliance with hours of service rules and regulations. There are two types of logbooks: Paper logs. The driver must fill them
Since the ELD rules and regulations were published, fleet companies and truckers are looking to purchase the most cost-effective electronic logbook. Many providers claim to offer the best ELD for sale at the most affordable price and many truckers have