Find a Reliable Electronic Elog for Your Trucking Business in Canada
For businesses in the transportation industry, compliance with the HOS regulations established by Transport Canada is not optional, it is a legal requirement. Before the implementation of the ELD mandate, truckers were allowed to record their hours of service manually using paper logs. However, since the beginning of 2023, most commercial vehicle operators are required to use an electronic logging device to keep their RODS.
The device, which connects directly to the vehicle’s engine, gathers HOS data to help ensure its accuracy, helping Transport Canada organize information more effectively and prevent fraudulent entries. In this article, we will discuss the legal aspects of the ELD law and the top qualities to look for in a reliable electronic elog to achieve ELD compliance.
Who Needs Elogs in Canada?
The ELD mandate was implemented in Canada to enhance road safety by enforcing stricter regulations on the working hours of commercial vehicle drivers. The law applies to most property and passenger carrier vehicles that operate across provinces and territories, and their drivers must use electronic elogs to record their hours of service. However, some commercial motor vehicle operators are exempt from complying with the ELD rule, including:
- Drivers who operate under a rental agreement not exceeding 30 days and not extended for the same vehicle.
- Motor carriers who operate under a federal permit issued by a provincial director.
- Motor carriers who operate under an exemption granted under section 16 of the Motor Vehicle Transport Act.
- Vehicles that were manufactured before model year 2000. However, model year 2000 or newer vehicles with a pre-2000 engine are not exempt and require an ELD.
In Canada, commercial drivers are required to use electronic elogs that have been certified by a third-party certification body recognized by Transport Canada. Supporting documents such as user manuals, data transfer instructions, malfunction reporting instructions, and blank driver’s RODS graph grids must be kept in the cabin. If a device malfunctions, the operator must notify their motor carrier and keep a paper log until the device is fixed or replaced.
Transport Canada allows a grace period of up to 14 days for motor carriers to repair or replace a malfunctioning electronic elog. It is essential for commercial drivers to comply with these requirements as non-compliance may result in expensive fines and penalties.
Is Elog Software Transport Canada Compliant?
In order to adhere to Canadian federal logbook regulations and avoid costly fines, it is essential for truckers to ensure that their elog electronic logbooks meet specific technical requirements and are certified by an accredited third-party organization. When it comes to elog software, it can only be compliant as a part of an electronic logging system that includes an engine-connected hardware piece. Transport Canada has established a certification program to guarantee that electronic logging devices used in the country are reliable and accurate, and ELD app providers must submit their software for certification to an accredited certification body.
This body will verify whether the elog software and hardware meet the technical requirements outlined in the regulation and can accurately record and transfer driver and vehicle data. The Transport Canada website maintains a list of certified electronic elogs, which includes both hardware and software-based devices. In our next section, we will discuss the important issue of data editing in relation to electronic logbook compliance.
Characteristics of a Quality Electronic Logbook
Providers offering quality ELD solutions focus on combining advanced technology with reliability. While being included in the Transport Canada-approved list is crucial to meet legal requirements, it’s not sufficient to guarantee a dependable electronic elog. By selecting a reliable and feature-rich ELD, you can increase efficiency, reduce operational costs and mitigate the risk of non-compliance. Let’s examine what characteristics to consider when choosing an electronic elog for your business:
- Intuitive interface. To complete tasks more efficiently while on duty, CMV drivers need their elog software to have a friendly interface that is easy to navigate. An intuitive app allows operators to update their status, complete vehicle and roadside inspections, and manage compliance requirements just in a few clicks, automating essential tasks and leading to proper use of the system and higher driver satisfaction.
- Efficient customer support. When dealing with technology, accessible tech support is crucial. Accessible customer support can solve all your doubts related to compliance issues that may cause downtime or lead to HOS violations. Before making up your mind, we recommend you call your potential provider’s tech support and check how much time it takes to reach an expert.
- Reputable provider. One of the best ways to check the reliability of your potential provider is by reading user reviews on unbiased platforms like the Apple App Store or Google Play. Choose an experienced company that has earned high ratings from truckers.
- Compatibility with different operating systems. An ELD log that pairs with both iOS and Android devices will save money on purchasing additional phones or tablets, and allows drivers to comfortably use the operating system they are used to.
- Straightforward installation. An overly complex installation process may require a specialist, potentially leading to additional costs and downtime. Avoid expensive installation by choosing a system that can be set up in minutes by yourself or your staff.
- One device for multiple vehicle classes. A universal solution can reduce your costs and will smoothen workflows as drivers and staff will only need to work with one system rather than multiple systems. Also, fleet managers can monitor the fleet on a single platform to save time and reduce administrative burden.
- Extra features. In addition to compliance with the ELD laws, complementary features that can be integrated with your solution help your business scale and evolve. Look for digital tools like DVIRs, IFTA support, real-time GPS tracking, and vehicle diagnostics to enhance vehicle visibility and boost operational efficiency.
If you are wondering how to find an ELD solution that combines all the characteristics mentioned above, we are about to introduce a system that helps carriers avoid costly HOS violations, achieve compliance with the mandate, and increase productivity.
HOS247 Is a Leading ELD Service Provider
HOS247 electronic elogs are designed to meet all Transport Canada requirements with minimal effort on behalf of truckers. Our system provides drivers with alerts on possible HOS violations, which can save motor carriers significant amounts in fines. Our customer-centered approach is appreciated by transportation professionals, among the following benefits:
- High-quality, easy-to-install hardware. Our device can be set up quickly, with no special installation requirements, saving motor carriers additional costs and preventing downtime. It is made with high-quality materials to provide optimal performance and a stable Bluetooth connection.
- Hardware and software compatibility. HOS247 ELDs are compatible with different types of trucks, eliminating the need for separate providers for each vehicle class. Additionally, our system seamlessly pairs with Android and iOS smartphones and tablets, providing drivers with the convenience of using their preferred devices.
- Driver-friendly interface. The intuitive interface allows operators to easily manage their logs, create electronic DVIRs, and submit inspection reports with a few taps via our app. Fleet managers can access RODS and useful vehicle metrics collected by the ELD through our intuitive web-based portal. Our elog software was specifically designed for the hardware, ensuring a stable connection for data transmission.
- Top-rated service. Our electronic logbook is highly valued by truckers for its reliability, flexibility, and excellent quality of customer support. As evidenced by user reviews, clients appreciate the dependability and overall performance of our service.
- Accessible technical support. Our knowledgeable technical support team is available seven days a week to assist with any issues related to the device and compliance. HOS247 managers speak multiple languages, including Spanish and Russian, to better serve our clients. Our callback policy ensures that clients will be assisted promptly even if the call drops.
- No-contracts. Instead of locking up clients in long-term contracts, HOS247 uses a transparent and flexible system of monthly or yearly subscriptions that can be scaled up/down or canceled without any hassle.
- Flexible subscription plans. Instead of locking clients into long-term contracts, HOS247 offers transparent and flexible monthly or yearly subscriptions that can be scaled up/down or canceled without any hassle.
- Trial period. We offer a 14-day trial to encourage customers to test our system before subscribing to a plan. If, within two weeks, the client decides that our ELD doesn’t suit their business needs, we will provide a full refund.
Other Benefits of HOS247 ELD
In addition to providing an effective tool for achieving regulatory compliance, HOS247 solution offers extra features that can be paired with our electronic elog to optimize workflows, reduce expenses, improve vehicle safety, increase vehicle visibility, and enhance operational efficiency. Here are some features that can be integrated with the HOS247 ELD elog to boost carriers’ productivity:
- Real-time GPS tracking facilitates dispatch, improves customer service, and enhances the vehicle and driver’s safety by providing full visibility. We use a 4G network to ensure uninterrupted connectivity and better communication between drivers and fleet managers.
- Idle reporting helps identify and manage fuel waste, allowing fleet managers to change driver patterns and cut operational costs.
- The IFTA feature calculates kilometers driven per jurisdiction to simplify IFTA tax reporting.
- Vehicle maintenance lowers the risk of serious vehicle malfunctions by notifying drivers and fleet managers about upcoming maintenance events. This may considerably increase vehicle efficiency and prolong their useful life.
Transportation professionals experience clear financial benefits by integrating GPS tracking for commercial vehicles into their fleet. Truckers can substantially improve management capabilities of the entire fleet, as well as reduce costs and boost productivity. In this article we will look
User-friendly ELDs and accompanying apps are more important now than ever, as the mandate approaches and driver turnover continues to be a problem for trucking businesses. Difficult to navigate logbook apps make drivers’ jobs more complicated. That is one more