Transport Canada Compliant System with ELD App for iPhone
HOS247 Provides a Top-Rated Compliant ELD App for iPhone
There are many ELD apps on the market. Unfortunately, only a fraction of those are reliable. When trying to choose the best vehicle logbook app for iPhone, it is important to make sure it is efficient and that the company that created it is dependable. Without consistency between the two, a logbook app is useless. HOS247 is a leader in the industry, providing a truck driver log book app for iPhone and Apple tablets that makes compliance easier.
Reliable Logbook App
The HOS247 ELD app for iPhone provides drivers and fleets with the following benefits:
- Easy to manage electronic logs and electronic driver vehicle inspection reports (DVIRs).
- Over-the-phone assistance on how to use drivers daily log app, which reduces the risk of questions arising while they’re on the road.
- Pass every DOT inspection with the confidence that HOS247 is Transport Canada compliant.
Benefits to Help Streamline Operations
The HOS247 ELD app for iPhone offers additional benefits that help carriers manage their operations more efficiently, including:
- IFTA mileage calculations to reduce the risk of human error.
- Vehicle diagnostics notifications to help you keep on top of maintenance needs.
- GPS tracking in real time when drivers are on duty.
Are Logbook Apps Transport Canada Compliant?
Transport Canada is tasked with ensuring that ELDs meet certain technical specifications. Regulations state that electronic logging devices must be connected to the engine to record hours of service and records of duty status. Alone, an ELD app for iPhone cannot do that. The device records information, and the app is used to display it on an Apple device.
In short, your ELD app for iPhone can only be compliant as part of an ELD system that is also compliant. If a company’s electronic logbook meets the requirements, it can get certified by a third party accreditation body approved by Transport Canada.
Who Must Comply with the ELD Mandate?
Come January 1, 2023, motor carriers and drivers must comply with the ELD Mandate if required to maintain RODS, whether they operate commercial buses or commercial motor vehicles. However, Transport Canada has considered the following exemptions:
- Vehicles operated by a carrier with an exemption under the Motor Vehicle Transport Act.
- Vehicles operated by a carrier under a permit.
- Commercial motor vehicles that were manufactured before the year 2000.
- Vehicles rented for no longer than 30 days.
It is also important to note that drivers who operate within their province are subject to that authority’s rules and regulations, while drivers and vehicles that travel across provinces must comply with the federal law.
Why Switch to a Better ELD App for iPhone?
A progressive enforcement of the ELD mandate begins, many commercial motor vehicle drivers find themselves looking for a certified electronic logging device. The wrong choice might mean ending up with significant losses and having to deal with completely unreliable or difficult to use apps. What’s more, many providers lock truckers into lengthy contracts. When looking for the best vehicle log book app for iPhone, there are red flags that might let you know it is time to switch to a better ELD provider:
1. Lack of Support
If a fleet manager or driver on the road cannot reach technical support when they need it, that’s a definite sign that it is time to switch. There is no reason for a paying customer to struggle to get a person on the phone when needed. Additionally, the person on the other end of the line should be knowledgeable, courteous, and able to help drivers get back to work as quickly as possible.
2. Complicated Administrative Tasks
A fleet manager’s day is a busy one, and managing every driver’s log can take time. If an ELD and corresponding logbook app make administrative tasks harder, it’s time to switch to a solution that helps them quickly locate driver logs, figure out how much driving time they have left, match the correct drivers to loads and pull DVIR and HOS violations. Unfortunately, not every ELD solution provides this type of simplicity, which is time consuming and inconvenient.
3. Not Driver-Friendly
If drivers don’t like the ELD app for iPhone, they’re less likely to use the e-log correctly, or they might not use it at all. That results in wasted money and increased frustration for fleet managers. A driver should prefer to use an ELD app instead of using paper logs. If they don’t, it’s time to find a solution that they like and doesn’t need much training to make the transition easier on them.
4. Misleading Pricing
While it may be tempting to choose the cheapest app, it’s also important to ask whether that price is final. ELD companies might promise one price upfront but then tack on additional fees after a carrier commits to it. ELD app providers should be completely transparent with their pricing, acting as partners. Read reviews online and do some research before committing to an electronic logbook. Always make sure that the price you were given includes everything that is needed for the elog to work.
5. Providers That Require Extra Hardware
Some elog systems require using the manufacturer’s proprietary tablets instead of letting drivers use Apple or Android smartphones or tablets. An app is more convenient because drivers feel more comfortable using them and because they’re less expensive. If you don’t have to purchase new devices, you can save money and avoid being locked into an unreliable, foreign ecosystem. There’s much more flexibility with the use of a logbook app.
How to Install a HOS247 ELD
The process of installing the device that will pair up with the logbook app should be seamless. A HOS247 ELD is easy and quick to install. The fleet manager simply has to set up the web portal, install the device and then download the free logbook app.
Step 1 – Web Portal Set Up Instructions
- Log in to the HOS247 portal with provided credentials. Go to https://portal.hos247.com/
- Click “Manage” to add or update company information, vehicles, portal users, and drivers. Portal users and drivers must have different login credentials, even if they are the same person.
Step 2 – ELD Hardware Installation Instructions
- Plug the nine-pin ELD into the vehicle’s diagnostic port BEFORE turning on the vehicle and BEFORE running the HOS247 app. Use adapters if needed. If mounting on the dashboard, use the dual fastener provided.
- Once the LED light flashes green, slowly, the device is powered. There should also be a flashing red LED that indicates the internal GPS is in acquisition mode. Conversely, a solid red LED means that the signal is locked. Regardless, the driver can now move on to the next step without waiting for the GPS signal to unlock.
- Turn on the vehicle engine.
- Watch for a fast-flashing LED that means vehicle activity has been detected.
- Wait for the LED to turn solid green, not flashing, meaning that you can now run the HOS247 app.
- The ELD will now retain the information it needs to communicate to the logbook app via Bluetooth. Note that the power light isn’t always on for power-management reasons.
Step 3 – HOS 247 ELD App for iPhone Set Up Instructions
- Download the HOS247 ELD Logbook app from the Apple App Store.
- Make sure the iPhone Bluetooth is on. (There is no need to pair the app to the ELD.)
- Log in with the credentials created on the web portal.
- Select a vehicle from the list created on the web portal.
- Enter the MAC address (listed on the ELD device).
- Watch for the Bluetooth indicator at the top right corner of the app. You are ready to start using the ELD.
Truckers appreciate GPS fleet management and tracking systems for various reasons: workflow optimization and considerable cost savings are among the main arguments in their favor. Devices that offer real-time tracking help motor carriers gain complete control over their operations, increasing
One of the best ways to increase your trucking business’s profitability is to implement a reliable GPS tracking solution. Having a real-time bird’s eye view of operations will yield countless benefits and improve nearly all of the activities involved in